Sometimes it’s not so easy to get out of bed and go make a large, healthy breakfast. Who wants to make all that food, then clean all those dishes!? It’s just too much work. There are easy breakfast recipes out there that can get you the nutrients you need. Your body requires protein, fiber, vitamins, calcium, and more. Here are a few of our favorite breakfast recipes which are made special for seniors.
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal, quick-cooking (dry)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cups water (very hot)
- 1⁄2 banana (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen yogurt, non-fat
- In a microwave safe cereal bowl, mix together the oatmeal and salt. Stir in water.
- Microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave on high power for another minute. Stir again.
- Microwave an additional 30-60 seconds on high power until the cereal reaches the desired thickness. Stir again.
- Top with banana slices and frozen yogurt.
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted salted sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Combine 2/3 cup water and barley in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 6 minutes.
- Stir and let stand 2 minutes.
- Top with banana slices, sunflower seeds, and honey.
- 3 tablespoons orange-mango fat-free yogurt (such as Dannon)
- 3 tablespoons poppy seed salad dressing
- 2 cups halved strawberries
- 2 cups cubed pineapple
- 1 cup honeydew melon balls
- 1 cup cantaloupe balls
- 12 Boston lettuce leaves
- Combine yogurt and salad dressing in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Combine strawberries, pineapple, and melon balls in a large bowl, tossing gently.
- Line each of 6 plates with 2 lettuce leaves; spoon 1 cup fruit mixture onto each plate.
- Drizzle each salad with 1 tablespoon dressing. Serve immediately.
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 lb ground lamb or turkey
- 1 + 2 TBS chicken broth
- 3 cups rinsed and finely chopped kale (stems removed)
- 5 omega-3 enriched eggs
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Mince onion and chop garlic; let them sit for 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting benefits.
- Preheat broiler on low.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a 9-10 inch stainless steel skillet. Sauté onion over medium heat, for about 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic, ground lamb or turkey, and cook for another 3 minutes on medium heat, breaking up clumps.
- Add kale and 2 TBS broth. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook covered for about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and mix.
- Beat eggs, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and pour on top of mixture evenly. Cook on low for another 2 minutes without stirring.
- Place skillet under broiler in middle of oven, about 7 inches from the heat source so it has time to cook without the top burning. As soon as the eggs are firm, it is done, about 2-3 minutes.